1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Sift the flour, baking powder and salt togethernto a large bowl. Add the butter and work into the flour quickly with your hands to form a coarse mealy texture.
2. Stir in just enough milk to bring all the ingredients together in a shaggy mass. You may have to add more or less milk than called for.
3. Remove the dough to a floured work surface and knead briefly just to smooth out the dough. Do not overknead or your biscuits will end up tough.
4. Roll out to a thickness of about 3/4 inch. Cut into rounds with a floured glass or a biscuit cutter. Place the rounds on an ungreased baking sheet and brush with milk or melted butter.
5. Place in the oven and bake until browned on top, about 12-15 minutes.